Friday, January 2, 2015

Walking for the Health of It

It wasn't till this past year I have learned to love walking. Walking has become my go to exercise for not only my fitness but a tool I use to get a healthy mind set. 

Walking has a TON of benefits! 
(according to American Heart Association) 
Walking at least 30 minutes a day can...
~ reduce your risk of heart disease and stroke
~ improve blood pressure & blood sugar levels
~ in some people it assist in weight loss, maintain weight and can lower risk of obesity 
~ boost mental health 
~ reduce risk of osteoporosis
~ reduce risks of some cancers like breast & colon
~ reduce risk of diabetes (Type 2)

A leisure walk is great but it can be easily turned into an exercise to reap the best benefits. When I first started I just walked with no technique in mind or even with much thought of it as my go to fitness on my journey to health.  It wasn't that long and I found myself looking at it as much more than a walk but my go to routine. 

Let's talk about TECHNIQUE! 
This is how it goes for me after I did a little research on the matter. 
~ look forward with head up 
(don't look at the ground your bound to get a neck ache like I did plus you want good posture) Also you need to be aware of your surroundings, I've almost not seen other walker and bikers coming towards me and it could have ended with me on flat my rear. Lol
~ shoulders back, and neck relaxed not tensed. 
~ swing your arms with a little bend in them.  Pumping is ok too, that's what I prefer when I increase my speed
~ slightly tighten stomach muscles
Warm up/Cool down 
Don't forget to warm up & cool down at the end of your walk. To do this, you walk slow for about 5-10 min before you pick up speed to a brisk walk and again at the end of your walk slow it back down. A brisk walk is about 3 mph or more or about 20 mins per mile.  It is said that a pace of about 15 min per mile or 4 miles in an hours time is a moderately intense zone. When you are walking at a brisk pace you are breathing harder but still able to speak but not sing.  Ha! When I'm cruising at a good pace there is no singing to be done that is for sure.  

I've learned that to lose weight (burn fat) using walking as your main exercise you must get in (or at least I do) 45-60 mins of walking, 5 days a week at a moderate intense pace to get my heart rate at 50-70% of its maximum. Over time I've not only picked up my pace but also my distance.  I personally try to get in no less than 4-5 miles each time I head out. Some same days I don't get that whether it's because time doesn't allow or my mind is working against me, but I try and push myself out the door and put in some walking time anyways.  I also have worked up my distance over time and like to add two to three longer distances in each month. Those distances vary but range between 8-12 mile walks at one time. It usually depends on what my time allows. 

After each walk I feel pumped, energized and a sense of accomplishment.  I think mostly because I know that I'm doing my body good.  The fresh air going in my lungs, my muscles all warmed up and my clear mind are all things that are my proof my body & mind are happy, happy.  ðŸ˜„


* I'm no expert, all I can give you is my experiences.  I do advise you to get cleared by a health professional if you have any health issues to begin with or if your new to exercising. 


To keep me from getting bored, and the walking part isn't what gets me bored, but the scenery is.  I walk in my local area near my home but I change my routes often just for a new scenery.  I also drive to other locations like the parks in my area, gardens and or the beaches just to give me a new perk of a view. It's a real treat on the days I do that.  I love to soak up my surroundings and it really helps give my mind a sense of calming and peace. 
Here are a few of the sceneries near me I get to enjoy on this journey to better health. 

Keep focused and keep it fun. 
I try not to lose the big picture why I am doing this. Yes I want to lose weight but mostly I want to be in good health.  So I remember even if the weight doesn't come off as fast as Id like I know with each walk Im doing my body good.  Im reducing my risks of many health problems, some that are very serious. Why not load up that iPod with some of your favorite tunes that get you moving. It's funny how when my songs shuffle and it lands on one of my favorites I get an extra pep in my step.  ðŸ˜Š

Well thats it for now, I'll be back soon to give an update on the few first days of this round of the Whole30. But remember, what ever it takes you to be motivated, inspired, laced up and out the door do it. 


Well Wishes, (((Hugs))) & Prayers, 

Janine















No comments:

Post a Comment