Saturday, January 10, 2015

A Full Plate


Is your plate full??  

Mine is full, more than one way and some isn't so good.  

   When it comes to the Whole30 you should be eating a full plate of whole foods full of color, nutrients and goodness.  No sugars, grains, dairy, processed foods. I have no problem filling my plate with such healthy goodness.  You don't have to be a gourmet chef to come up with compliant and good tasting meals.   Here I will show some of my meals that are basic, filling, tasty and quick and easy.  

     As some of you may not know I go at the Whole30 solo in my home.  My hubby and 20 year old son have no part in the program but will take part in the protein I make and that's where it usually stops.  I have a bunch of veggies & some fruit easily accessible but those are never touched by them. Sad but true.  Anyways like I said because it's just me so I keep it simple, no need to go all out and get fancy.  

     My breakfasts include a protein, veg or 2 and sometimes a fruit.  
This round my go to protein was mostly eggs, I've had an occasional extra lean ground beef patty in replace of the egg as well.  As you can see zucchini or yellow squash is also a favorite.  In the begining of my week I cut up I like to buy a few squash/zucchini and wash, slice them up and keep in a ziplock bag or an airtight container in the fridge.   This makes it easy to grab a handful or two and sautéed them quickly in a pan with dome ghee butter or coconut oil.  Some mornings I'll have some fresh fruit along side but not every morning.  If your on your first Whole30 I'd recommend minimizing the use of fruit, this will help control the sugar craving much quicker.  At least that has been my experience.  
The bottom right corner picture has pan seared sweet potato medallions with cinnamon on it.  This it so delish to me.  I'll post on how I make them near the end of this blog.  I also make a yummy sweet potato, chicken sausage & apple hash.  I will share on how I make it as well. 

     Dinners and lunches are so some what very similar to each other. Just like breakfast I have a lean protein and veggies.  Below you will see my mostly made meals. Dinners 1-2 are: Extra Lean burger with sautéed French cut green beans with garlic made in ghee butter, roasted baby carrots with cinnamon in olive oil. Roasted bone in chicken breast with baked sweet potato.  
My more Whole30 dinners were again burger patty with squash and strawberries, sautéed squash & zucchini with left over cooked chicken and finally my favorite- Veggetti pasta with compliant sauce and extra lean ground meat.  I will never miss out on spaghetti night ever again.  



As you can see my plates are pretty full with color and goodness.  

Now let's talk about another means of a "Full Plate".  

    I've taken on a few month long exercise challenges for my fitness, the Whole30, and more volunteering stuff since the new year started.  Well I have a confession to make, my Whole30 commitment has been an absolute challenge to keeping faithful. I have been away from home over 2 different weekends which has put me in situations that compliant food isn't readily available.  I've come to realize in the past I've only put my full investment in the Whole30 and regular daily activities and not other things and they were successful. This time around I think I've piled my plate way too full to be fully dedicated to it and I have back slided into a tough spot.  Do I start over in the middle of the month?  Or should I devot my attention to what is going good and start the Whole30 again next month and keep that my only focus for the month? 
    Like I said my other challenges are going great, I'm racking up the miles, faithfully doing my 30 day cardio plus some fitness videos a few times a week.  My eating isn't horrible but it certainly isn't 100% compliant to the Whole30 plan.  I guess I'm going to keep plugging along and try and not make horrible choices but I have come realize I will need to recommit to the Whole30 another time with less on my plate and not have the added stress to trying to keep it all together.  Stress for me is like a huge button saying "feed me and you will feel better".  I know that is just a false sense of emotions and for the most part I have been able to avoid and over come situations like that. My past Whole30 experiences have shown me the proof in that and what my body really needs.  This time around I was just hoping to clean up some things that have crept back into my diet that may be holding my progress back.  

It's time to check if your plate is full and of what. Is it full of unhealthy foods & fats and processed food, or is it full of colorful veggies, lean healthy proteins and good fats, or is it over flowing with too much going on and no time to focus on the right priorities for your health. 
 It may not be New Year's Day anymore but it's never too late to repriorities things for the good of your health.  Set goals, start small, learn from my experience and don't over load your plate.  I'm cheering you on!! 


Sweet Potato, Sausage & Apple Hash. 

Peel 3-4 large sweet potatoes then cut in thick circle and dice in cubes.  Cook in coconut oil in skillet. Cook until fork tender. In another pan cook turkey or chicken sausage.  (usually cook the day before, slices better in cubes while cold) 
Once sweet potatoes are tender add meat. How ever much you want. I only add 1 1/2 links.  Then cut up 2 apples in large chunks and add to skillet. Add cinnamon, salt, pepper to taste. sautéed till Apple are slightly cooked.  I like them not too mushy. 😊 It's great as a breakfast side or just as the main dish. 
* I like to add some mined onions as well when just making it for myself. 
It makes enough for the week for me.  I just grab a cup or so full and reheat in pan.  


Cinnamon Sweet Potato Medallions

Bake sweet potatoes in advance in the oven and keep in fridge over night. Do not peel! 
Take out cold potatoes. Cut in half.  The skin should come off easy but try to keep potato intact. Heat pain with oil or ghee, slice potato in thick slices, (usually I get 3 medallions per half potato) sprinkle with cinnamon and brown in pan each side. Since already cooked won't take long to brown and sides get crispy with the cinnamon and browned.  

Enjoy! 


Well Wishes, (((Hugs))) & Prayers, 
Janine. 






No comments:

Post a Comment