Friday, May 8, 2015

A Dog Story: Not so EVIL after all!

Not so EVIL after all. 

Everyone that knows me knows I love all animals and dogs are at the top of my list. Although I can be very reserved and unsure when I can't read them.  I've had my fair share of dog bites- some from my own doing when I was a kid and didn't know better and others just from a dog that is timid and unsure themselves. So when what has transpired the last few days I thought I'd share. 

My moms dog is older (8 yrs) and very set in her ways.  She also came to live with my mom only a couple years ago so we don't know all what she has been through in her earlier life to feel she can't trust everyone.  

She can get pretty moody, growls and snippy so everyone in the family keeps their distance. Her actual name is Duchess but we  jokingly nicknamed her "Evil Dog". 

I've seen her first hand be pleasant and get excited and playful with my mom but for anyone else she is very non social and won't even give much eye contact.  She usually hides when the family arrives for a visit. 

    Since my stay at my moms for 5 days so far for my recovery she has not only joined me in the same room and stayed at a distance but now has welcomed my lap as a safe and comfy place to be too. Yesterday was her first hop in my lap and I attributed it to my mom having to leave and run to the store and maybe she was lonely and I would have to do. But today my mom is here and Duchess is very content in my lap once again. Go figure! 
Duchess on the couch across from me. 

    My mom says she NEVER hops in her lap so I guess I should feel very special. So today she stays and sleeps on my lap and if she gets down for any reason she eventually finds herself back in my lap, and with no coaxing from me. 
    Maybe she senses I miss my own pup Bentley or that I'm not feeling well. Or maybe she actually is learning to trust others.  Either way I enjoy her company and she seems to be ok with mine too.  
Resting well on my lap. 


A good reminder: 
All animals need love and will graciously give it back too,  they just need time. πŸΆπŸΎπŸ’•



Well Wishes, ((Hugs)) & Prayers 
Janine

No comments:

Post a Comment